In Western musical theory a cadence is a particular series of intervals or chords that ends a phrase, section, or piece of music. Cadences give phrases a distinctive ending. An analogy can be made with punctuation, with some weaker cadences acting as commas, indicating a pause or momentary rest, while a stronger cadence will then act as the period, indicating the end of the phrase or musical sentence.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Gate pass to meet Big Brother

I guess it's been a long time since I posted anything on this page. I hope to keep it updated from now on. My hard work during the Master's got me a paper in ISCAS 2008, and international conference at Seattle, Washington, USA. By the grace of my prof. I have got all the necessary funds to attend the conference on May 18-21st 2008. As u all know one has to get a VISA to enter into Big Brother. I worked about two weeks to get all the necessary documents (approval letters, hotel reservations, air travel itinerary etc..) ready. I had booked an appointment with VFS on 27th Mar 11:45 pm. I was a bit worried about the scorching sun in chennai and the long queue one has to endure while waiting for the interview at the Chennai Consulate. I went there ahead of time by about 9am. To my surprise the VFS authorities told that I could make use of the lounge facility available at a km distance from the consulate and there is a van pick up and drop from that place. I had heard about it some time ago but was not very confident about this service. Of course it comes at a cost of Rs. 200. But I would say it is worth it. On arrival at the VFS lounge, I was subjected very strict security check. You are not supposed to turn on your mobiles while you are in the lounge. After paying the required amount, I went into the lounge and deposited my bag at the counter and relaxed in the chair under the comfort of the air conditioner. While in lounge u have a large wide screen television to entertain u, a Cafe Coffee Day shop and a rest room and dressing room facilities. The fee includes a free cup of coffee and a sandwich. You can also get your documents ordered and checked by the VFS authorities in the lounge. This helped me because I had taken my photograph with eye glasses and there was a glare in it. There was a photographer next to the lounge where I could take a new photo without my glasses for a fee of Rs. 100. About 15 minutes before the interview time you will be called for boarding the vehicle to the consulate. I was called at 11.30pm. At the consulate, I was a bit doubtful about my DS 156 and DS 157 forms as I had filled them wrongly while doing it online. However the person in the first window told me that I could do the corrections before i submit it to the consulate officer. I did all the changes and went to the BEP counter meant for B1/B2 Visa. The consulate officer was a fat American. I was standing in the queue and I could see he was intimidating some of the kids and young people who were standing ahead of me. However I met him and gave the required documents. Luckily he asked me a very few questions like ' What is the purpose of your visit'. 'What is the paper about?' 'How long will you stay in US'. I had forgot to take a copy of the paper with me, but managed to brief him about it. After a few seconds I was relieved when he said 'Your VISA is granted and will receive it in three business days'. I went back to the lounge with happiness and relaxed there for some time before I left that place.

No comments: